One great technique for building vocabulary in any language is reading the newspaper or leer el periódico! Some benefits of reading a newspaper from another country include:
- Greater understanding of their culture and values
- Exposure to a more advanced writing style than the writing styles found in books that teach Spanish as a foreign language
- A greater understanding of the different words found in different countries that speak Spanish
- Various examples of how to properly phrase a sentence in Spanish and utilize Spanish grammar
- Learn new vocabulary words and see how they’re used in context to improve your memory
Tips when reading a newspaper in another language:
- Print the newspaper article and circle the words that you didn’t know; use a dictionary to translate these words and write them down on a separate list if possible
- Spend time reading the article! A lot of it! Reading an article in a different language can be a frustrating experience especially if you don’t know ever other word. However, the more effort you put when reading an article, the more vocabulary you learn!
- Research any topics you never seen before; If you’re reading the article and it’s about a subject you’ve never heard, then look it up online (ex: Wikipedia)! Wikipedia also has plenty of Spanish articles that can expand your research.
Always set a goal for yourself such as reading one article every day. Have fun! 🙂